Altrincham Hospital

Altrincham’s hospital services began in 1853 when Lloyd’s
Fever Hospital was built. By 1860 the hospital was making
a vital contribution to improving access to health care for
local residents. A Provident Dispensary was opened in
1861. Subscribers of a weekly sum could be treated at the
hospital when necessary.

Altrincham’s hospital services began in 1853 when Lloyd’s
Fever Hospital was built. By 1860 the hospital was making
a vital contribution to improving access to health care for
local residents. A Provident Dispensary was opened in
1861. Subscribers of a weekly sum could be treated at the
hospital when necessary.
The population of Altrincham was growing and in 1870, the management of Lloyds Fever Hospital and Provident Dispensary was handed over to the new Altrincham Provident Dispensary and Hospital, marking

the establishment of what would become Altrincham General Hospital.
A new building to accommodate the growing population was proposed and a site on Market Street was
chosen. Records show the building was occupied in March 1871, although no evidence of an official opening ceremony has been found.

A man and his wife were also employed to reside in the hospital for the purpose of cleaning, attending to
patients and assisting the resident dispenser. The first matron for the hospital was a Mrs. Tatham, who was
appointed in 1872 at the salary of £30 a year with board and lodgings.
A report on the first year of service dated to 1872 reported that the number of in-patients admitted to the
hospital was 28, of whom 17 were discharged as cured and four died. The average length of stay for patients was 36 days.

Lloyds Fever Hospital closed in 1911. The building was pulled down and the site turned into a children’s
playground.
As the threat of the First World War emerged the local Red Cross Society asked the hospital for permission
to train volunteer nurses on its wards. It was agreed that two nurses would be trained at a time if they
provided their own uniforms.
On 10th August 1914, six days after the declaration of war the
hospital sent a telegram to the War Office offering the use of a
ward of 16 beds for wounded soldiers. By November the ward
was in full use.
The hospital continued to provide healthcare after the outbreak
of World War II with beds reserved for expected air-raid
casualties. An air raid shelter was built in the hospital basement.
On 5th July 1948, the NHS was established and Altrincham General became the headquarters for the new
North and Mid-Cheshire Management Committee.
In the current day, Altrincham General provides a minor injuries unit, a range of out-patient clinics,
physiotherapy, X-ray, and blood test services to the local population.
Work recently began on a new £17 million state-of-the-art
hospital development in Altrincham town centre. The four-story
development will provide modern, high quality facilities for
existing services, as well as additional services for local people.
The new hospital is expected to open to the public by early
2015.
On 1 st April 2012, Altrincham Hospital along with Trafford General Hospital and Stretford Memorial became part of Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image