Cookridge Hospital Leeds

It first opened its doors for treatment in 1869. It specialised in the treatment of cancer patients from across large parts of the region since 1952, but in 2008 treatment was transferred to St James Hospital in Leeds. Over the years the convalescent hospital was gradually extended, and during the First World War the building was requisitioned to care for wounded servicemen, resuming its civilian role after 1919.In 1939 it was again taken over by the Government and briefly housed the Leeds Maternity Hospital. Other buildings on the site include the Ida ward which was a separate building located nearby.

Cookridge Hospital closed in 2008 and the hospital Trust disposed of the site for redevelopment for housing with the benefit of an outline planning permission obtained by Turley Associates. Chartford Homes purchased the site and retained us to advise on planning, urban design and heritage matters as it brought its detailed proposals forward for approval.

Most of the modern hospital buildings had been demolished leaving three listed buildings and their setting, which were integrated into proposals for new-build housing. The proposals comprised 155 new houses, the conversion of the listed lodge to a house, the conversion and extension of the listed main hospital to a care home and the conversion and extension of the listed Ida Hospital for use as extra-care housing.

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image
lab
lab