North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary, Stoke-on-Trent

The North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary’s history can be traced back to 1804

The Dispensary – which was the first public hospital in North Staffordshire – opened in Etruria in April 1804. Funded in part by the Wedgewood family, it gave sick patients the chance to see an Apothecary for diagnosis and treatment. It also provided vaccination against the dreaded smallpox, t

In 2003 the hospital was chosen for a £350-million Private Finance Initiative development, and work on major new facilities was started. . Most of the wards and Accident & Emergency department were moved from the Royal Infirmary site across to the new site over the course of 2012, after which the former site will be redeveloped for much needed housing in this area.

From April 2012 all A&E departments were on the new site, together with new Maternity and Oncology units.

In 2013 the hospital was fully closed.

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image