Redcar Steel Works

The steel works were founded in Redcar in 1917 by Dorman Long, the company which went on to design and build the Sydney Harbour bridge in the 1930s.
The plant then became a part of British Steel, the nationalised steel company formed in 1967.
In 1999, British Steel merged with Dutch company Hoogevens under the name Corus.
Eight years later the site was taken over by Indian firm Tata Steel, which produced about 3.4m tonnes each year at the plant.
Three years later 1,700 jobs were lost when the firm lost a large contract and the furnace was switched off.
In 2011 the site was taken over by Thai company Sahaviriya Steel Industries (SSI), which re-lit the furnace to much fanfare in 2012.
The plant was finally closed for good in October 2015

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image
ssi
ssi