Shelton Asylum

There was a tailors shop, there was a carpenters - it was a whole community at one time, with a farm as well.
Shelton Hospital was custom built and opened in 1845 at Bicton Heath, Shrewsbury.

Over the years it had its own cricket and football sides, a band, a farm supplying food to the hospital and jobs for patients and local people and even a brewery.

The grade II listed building, which has been much adapted over the more than 150 years since it opened, will close as a hospital in September 2012.
In 1843 construction began on a 15 acre plot of land in the parish of St Julian, and would take two years to build. The building was design by George Gilbert Scott (the great grandfather of the architect who design Battersea Power Station and the Red Phone Boxes, Giles Gilbert Scott) and William B Moffat. The Asylum was designed in the Corridor Layout that was prolific at the time, being symmetrical so that males and females could easily be segregated. The total cost of the original building came to £17,000. The hospital opened on the 18th of March, 1845, with a capacity of 60 patients. But by the opening, the patients requiring treatment had increased to 104. At its peak in 1947, the hospital had 1027 patients

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image