St Josephs Convent

The Convent of St Joseph was founded in 1864 and the buildings were designed by George Goldie, a local architect who planned the lay-out based on a cloistered quadrangular plan.

The premises were built between 1870 and 1875 and the convent is now Grade II listed because of its architectural and historical importance.

The convent is set in 6.3 acres of land and is surrounded by a 15ft wall. Buildings on the estate include The Lodge which is the former Priest’s House as well as The Extern and The Quadrangle, which includes Sisters’ House, The Chapel and Cloister buildings, comprising in total more than 30,000 sq ft of accommodation.

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image