St. Joseph's Orphanage Hospital Preston

St Josephs Orphanage was constructed in 1872 after an endowment from Mrs Maria Holland. It was designed by R W Hughe's and for the sole purpose of looking after Roman Catholic girls by nuns. A second building was later added in 1877 for the benefit of sick Roman Catholics. It was later known as Mount Street Hospital and used to care for soldiers in both world wars, the hospital received it's first operating theatre in 1910 and new hospital wings were added in 1933 and 1958. Part of the hospital has also been a nursing home, finally closing in 1986. The building is of grade 2 listing and was granted permission for redevelopment in 2004.

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image