The Fruit exchange

Also Known As: Fruit Exchange, MATHEW STREET, Liverpool

The Fruit Exchange, built c.1888 as a railway goods depot, converted into a fruit exchange in 1923 by J B Hutchins, sandstone, hipped slate roof, Flemish Renaissance style.
PLAN: Irregular J-shaped plan. Front block containing offices. Rear block containing exchange halls and offices. Main entrance halls and stairs set to centre part of building between front and rear blocks. Former storage/warehouse areas to lower ground floor now converted into public houses.

* It is a rare survival of an early C20 fruit exchange, converted from an earlier goods depot
* It has a well detailed exterior and significant surviving internal decorative elements to the former exchange halls and public areas
* Its external design incorporates imagery related to its function, such as stained glass windows depicting garlands of fruit
* Although the lower ground floor has been converted into public houses the original layout of the upper floors remain clearly readable
* Many of the original features survive including the two exchange halls, and the elaborate public areas that retain original stone stairs, decorative metal balustrading, tiled walls, and Ionic supporting columns
* The main exchange hall is an unusual irregular heptagon shape and along with the adjacent smaller hall retains its original tiered seating, panelling and decoration
* The building represents the growth and development of trade within Liverpool during the late C19 and early C20, and the emergence of Victoria Street as the regional centre of the fruit and provision trades
* It has group value with the adjacent grade II listed Produce Exchange Building

Please click on the thumb nail below to view Larger Image